Friday, February 11, 2011

A whole new world

I never could have imagined what being a new mom would be like. I've heard the stories, read the books, but nothing truly prepared me for parenthood. They say people don't change over night. That may be true...until you have a child. Going out is quite the adventure. In Robby's 3 weeks and one day he has made an hour long trip to and from Orlando, numerous restaurants, Target and Wal-Mart, and his grandparents and great-grandparents homes. Just about all of these trips have included changing diapers in the back seat of cars or public restrooms, and nursing in the backseat of cars, public restrooms and once while eating dinner out. Having a nursing cover is quite the blessing.
My husband, changing table, walls, floor and I have been peed on by quite a powerful stream and wet poo has made it's way sliding down the changing pad all over my son's back and also in a nice fresh batch of bath water. I've woken up to see my son's face next to a pile of spit-up. And let's not mention the evening time when we're trying to ready dinner and my son has a screaming fit where nothing works to soothe him [COLIC!].
My shirts have seen dryer days [breast milk let downs...] and my eyes have seen longer nights. Our family members have seen a nicer Marleena in the past as I now have become a crazy mother; sanitize your hands, don't don't his hands, don't kiss his face, if he's asleep stay away, you cannot carry him around in public, you cannot carry him if you've had alcohol, stay out of his face, if he's fussy/hungry hand him right back to mom. I know this new-mom phase will diminish but at 3 weeks old I can't stand the idea of anything happening to my precious baby [though I have clipped his finger while trying to clip his nails and my husband shot gripe water straight done his throat last night because the syringe is horrible.]

But at the end of the day it's all worth while. To see my son so calm as he nurses, and those moments that, while awake, he'll smile at me when I talk to him. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment