Monday, January 10, 2011

The nursery, on a budget

One thing about my husband and I is that we aren't very 'modern' people. We're much more simple and vintage I guess. Our wedding was done on a $1000 budget. That included everything and I hope to soon make a post narrowing down how we did it. We managed to have a ceremony with a minister, reception, photographer, catering, gown, tux rental, and all the little details for under $1000!
Our nursery was no exception to the budget rule. I was working as a full-time preschool teacher at a local privately owned school. My husband quit his '9-5' job last Spring, when we found out I was pregnant, to sell items on Amazon and Etsy with his mother, and to finish his associates degree. When you factor in our bills, our nursery had to slowly be put together. It is by no means what I would have dreamt it to be as we live in an apartment (trust me, nothing like a New York apartment). So here is our nursery, and a run-down on the average cost of everything:










1. Our dresser is a hand-me-down from my younger sister. She used it for my nephew's clothes and actually got the dresser for about $20 from a yard sale. The crib is a Graco Lauren convertible crib from Target. They were having a special when we bought it that if you buy the crib, the matching changing table was free! The books all came from my baby shower. I had asked for a signed book instead of a card since you can buy both for about the same price and books last longer!
2. The basket of stuffed toys all came from my childhood or are stuffed animals my husband gave me while we were dating. The vibrating farm seat was a gift at my baby shower. Our nursing chair came from Old Time Pottery. The base was $69.99 and the cushion was $39.99. And my cat in the window, Panthro, was adopted for free :)
3. A close-up of my crib. The gorilla is my husband's childhood stuffed animal. The soothing sounds lamb was a gift and came from Barnes n Noble. The letters on the wall were hand painted by me.
4. Wall decor is from my baby shower, cheap-yes. Unfortunately there aren't many items that match my nursery theme [dinosaurs] in the stores. Both toys on the floor are from my younger sister, they were hers for my nephew.
5. Can't for the life of me rotate the picture! But this is my free changing table as mentioned above. All of the diapers, and wipes shown were gifts. I purchased the diaper pail at Target for 34.99 I believe. And how about the poster on the wall? My husband decided it would match "perfectly" in the nursery. As a good wife I just agreed and let him put up the poster. The poster was free as it was just laying around my mother-in-law's office.
6. My baby's first ultrasound.
7. On my birthday (September 30) I wanted to go painting at a local pottery shop so I could make a dinosaur for little Robby. This was about $15.
8. My diaper bag, which is currently holding all of my items for the hospital, was from my older sister at my baby shower. She was able to get the last one on QVC for $39.99 and it is originally a $70 bag! I love all of the hidden compartments at the bottom. This style bag is about 13in tall and I don't believe it's available anymore. You can find many similar ones though. It is the Jen Groover Butler Bag.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely nursery! Congrats on your little one that is coming soon! xo

    ReplyDelete